Programs > Brochure
Experience China in December - OLES2137
Beijing, China (Outgoing Program)
Summer (Dec - Feb)
|Partner University Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Sydney applicants only|
Experience China – OLE2137
Location: Beijing, China
Program dates: 25 November – 15 December 2018
Application deadline: 24 August 2018
Duration: 20 days
Coordinator: Irene Shidong An, firstname.lastname@example.org
This OLE unit introduces you to the basics of Chinese language and culture. As you may know, approximately one billion Chinese people speak Mandarin as their native language and millions of people in China and around the world speak Mandarin as a second language. China has a 5000 years old history and Chinese written language can be traced back to 3000 years ago. Chinese language and culture are worth studying.
There are both a zero credit point and a six credit point version of this unit. The zero credit point is completely online. Through videos, readings and short quizzes, you will learn about Chinese pronunciation including Hanyu Pinyin system and tones and be able to pronounce Chinese words. You will also learn some useexpenses payable by students). The accommodation fee is approximately at 150 RMB per night per room (2017 rates).
A typical student suite consists of two bedrooms, a shared living room, toilet and shower. Each student in the suite will have his/her own bedroom with bedding. A telephone, Internet access, air-conditioning, closet, colour TV set and dining table are also provided
Deposit: you will need to pay a deposit of $200. This deposit will be refunded minus any extra costs for this program, after the relevant census date, to students who attend the course. Please note students who do not attend will not receive a refund.
Program fee: The program will be covered by your normal tuition fees, paid to the University of Sydney for enrolling in the OLE 6 CP unit.
Travel insurance: If you are approved by the University of Sydney to participate in this program you will be covered by the University's Student Travel Insurance Policy. This is a complementary policy to cover you for the duration of your University of Sydney mobility experience. Please refer to the Audit and Risk Management website for all travel insurance queries.
Other costs: Airfares, food and other personal expenses, accommodation: see “useful information” tab for details.
OS-HELP loans may be available to eligible students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place, where the program is approved for credit prior to departure. Application required.
How to Apply
Applications are now open!
- OLE In-Country Units are not managed by Sydney Abroad. Any questions you have about this application should be directed to the School of Languages and Cultures at email@example.com
- International Students from China require a Confirmation Letter from their Host University regarding accommodation for their Visa Applications.
- Places are limited, so we cannot guarantee that all students will be accepted. Please complete your application as soon as possible.
- As part of this application you will be requested to provide passport details and to pay a deposit of $200.
- This course is suitable for students who are complete beginners in Chinese, or have very little experience in the language and culture. If you studied Chinese previously or are a native speaker we recommend you select an alternative OLE unit. one of our other OLE units listed here.
Enrolment closes 30 August 2018.
For further queries, please contact the unit coordinator Irene Shidong An, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: this OLE unit may be cancelled should there be insufficient enrolment numbers.