Mitsui Educational Foundation Study Tour of Japan 2023
The Mitsui Educational Foundation offers students the opportunity to experience the history and culture of Japan through a three-week study tour including visits to historical and cultural sights, companies and factories, and a home-stay. The 2023 Study Tour of Japan will take place from 20 November (pre-departure orientation at Mitsui’s Melbourne Office) - 12 December 2023.
The Mitsui Educational Foundation (MEF) was established in 1971 to build stronger ties and promote mutual understanding and friendship between Japan and Australia, by introducing Australian students to Japanese culture, history, business, industry, and contemporary lifestyles through their annual study tour to Japan.
Itinerary of the study tour may include;
- Places of historical significance such as Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima;
- Visits to various Japanese companies and factories;
- Homestay with a Japanese family;
- Weekend with Japanese university students who will soon commence employment with Mitsui;
- Attending a lecture at a Japanese university with their students;
- Meeting with the Australian Ambassador to Japan;
- Experience of the nature in Japan such as Hakone and Miyajima Island;
- Experience of the Japanese tradition such as hot spring, kimono fitting and tea ceremony; and
- Various tourist destinations in Tokyo including temples, shrines and museums.
- A full-time, on-campus undergraduate student in second year or above (including Honours) at the time of application.
- An Australian citizen (not permanent resident).
- As there is an overlap between the Semester 2 examination period, 13 - 25 November 2023, and the MEF Study Tour of Japan beginning on 20 November, only students who have all assessments (no final exams) in Semester 2 will be able to be considered to participate in this program.
The program is looking for students who are:
- Academically capable, but selection is not contingent on high academic achievement alone.
- A student who can clearly demonstrate a keen interest in learning broadly about Japan.
- A student who we can expect to benefit greatly from the MEF experience. Students with extensive experience living/studying in Japan are unlikely to be selected.
- A student who will act as an outstanding ambassador for their university, state, and Australia on the program.
- Study of Japan/Japanese language is not required to be eligible for the program.
In order to be considered, you must complete the Mitsui Education Foundation Study Tour of Japan 2023 Application
by the application deadline of Sunday, 25 June at 11:59pm (extended deadline)
. Please send the completed application form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional resources can be found here: