Winter (Jun - Aug)
|Restrictions:||Sydney applicants only|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10001Level:
|Postgraduate coursework, Undergraduate|
Students from the Faculty of Health Sciences or those in Bachelor of Science (Health) have the opportunity to participate in an international experience as part of their study program through FHS Abroad.
Cultural practices, disease patterns and healthcare systems are vastly different in different countries around the globe. This 6 credit point unit of study provides students with the opportunity to gain international experience in a health services setting in a developing country. Students will participate in a 4-6 week health or care placement with a community-based organisation in South or Southeast Asia. Countries where students can be placed include Vietnam, Cambodia, India and the Philippines. As part of the unit, you will be expected to participate in local development programs, live within the community that you are visiting, and document and reflect on key health and development issues facing local populations. The unit will require you to demonstrate cultural sensitivity and an ability to adapt to new environments, a capacity for critical reflection and awareness of complex global health and development issues.
Unit of Study Information
Unit of Study
HSBH3012 FHS Abroad (Undergraduate)
Successful completion of all 1st year units in an undergraduate FHS degree
Successful completion of an undergraduate health sciences degree or equivalent
The coursework component of this Unit of Study consists of:
- Compulsory pre-departure workshop
- Compulsory post-placement workshop
- Research on the health and development of your host country which must be submitted online before you travel.
- A field journal that you keep while you are overseas.
- A report on the experiences you had during your trip.
- A presentation once you return
The international placement component of this Unit of Study is organised through two companies, Antipodeans and Projects Abroad. The role of these companies is to ensure that placements are suitable and safe for students, and beneficial to the host organisation and wider community.
FHS Abroad is open to students in the following programs:
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (Health)
- Bachelor of Science (Health) / Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Health Sciences / Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise and Sport Science)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise Physiology)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology)
- Master of Speech Language Pathology
- Master of Physiotherapy
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Rehabilitation Counselling
Students who are at Undergraduate level must have successfully completed all first year units of study.
Students must seek Course Director approval to be accepted into this program.
Students must ensure this program will not interfere with compulsory course requirements like clinical placements.
Credit/Not for Credit:
You will be required to submit Course Director approval in this application portal.
English, however it is recommended that you make an effort to learn some basic language of the destination of your program.
Approximate Cost of Program: AUD$3000-5000
- Most meals
- Airport transfer
- 24 hour support and hotline
- Pre-departure service and support
Additional costs (not included in program fee):
- travel insurance (for travel outside of the placement dates)
- personal expenses
OS-HELP loans may be available to eligible students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place where the program is approved for credit prior to departure. Application required.
The following scholarships are currently available for students undertaking FHS Abroad:
- Undergraduate scholarships (funded by Sydney Global Mobility at the University of Sydney) each scholarship to the value of $2,000.
- Postgraduate scholarships to Cambodia or The Philippines or Vietnam (funded by Endeavour Mobility Short-term Projects) each scholarship to the value of $3,000 (including $1,000 language component).
- Postgraduate scholarships to India (funded by Endeavour Mobility Short-term Projects) each scholarship to the value of $3,000 (including $1,000 language component).
- Postgraduate scholarships to Vietnam (funded by Endeavour Mobility Short-term Projects through The Hoc Mai Foundation) each scholarship to the value of $3,000 (including $1,000 language component).
How to Apply