Programs > Brochure
MITACS Globalink Research Internship Short-term
Calgary, Canada; Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; Guelph, Canada; Halifax, Canada; Vancouver, Canada; Winnipeg, Canada; (Outgoing Program)
Winter (Jun - Aug)
|Partner University Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Sydney applicants only|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10001Level:
|Undergraduate, Undergraduate research||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10002Language/s:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10008Program Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10027Short-term Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10028Short-term Duration:
MITACS Globalink Research Internship
Location: Canada (various locations)
Program dates: May - July 2019 (various dates)
Application deadline: 31 August 2018
Places available: 6
The MITACS Globalink Research Internship gives high-achieving senior undergraduates from Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Tunisia the opportunity to complete a 12-week research project at one of 46 Canadian universities. Approved students travel to Canada between May/June 2019 to participate in a 12-week research internship under the supervision of Canadian university faculty supervisor and other researchers at their host universities.
View available projects.
- Stipend for living expenses
- Professional development workshops
- Local Globalink Mentors
Full eligibility criteria
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be enrolled in full-time undergraduate or combined undergraduate/Master’s programs
- Have a 75 percent WAM at the time of application
- Have a minimum of one semester and a maximum of three semesters remaining in their program as of September 2018.
- Be available to complete a 12-week internship, arriving in Canada between 1 May and 30 June 2018, and returning to their country of study between 31 July and 30 September 2018 (note: you will need to be back by 5 August to commence semester 2 2019)
- Possess a valid passport from their home country that is valid until at least January 2020.
Language: English or French
WAM requirement: 75%
Relevant academic areas: Engineering, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities.
Additional requirement: Applicants must be in their 2nd or 3rd year of their course in 2018.
Students must go through a selection process and be endorsed by The University of Sydney prior to submitting an application to MITACS. Interested students should complete the expression of interest by midnight Thursday 31 August. After this date your eligibility will be checked by Sydney Abroad and if you're eligible you'll be provided with a letter of nomination and instructions to apply to Mitacs.
Globalink cycle and important dates
April to June 2018: Professors submit research projects to MITACS. All accepted projects are made available to student applicants in an online database. Professor project proposals are due June 14, 2017, by 5 p.m. PDT, for Globalink Research Internships 2018.
July to August 2018: Students complete expression of interest to Sydney Abroad and select research projects from the online database.
August to September 2018: Sydney Abroad nominates students and students submit application to MITACS.
October to December 2018: MITACS provides professors with proposed student candidates for their project, including application details, statement of research interests, CV, transcripts, and references. Professors are then encouraged to contact or interview the suggested students and provide feedback to MITACS.
January to April 2019: Professors and their accepted student(s) arrange pre-internship details (e.g., reading to be completed beforehand) while MITACS oversees logistics and coordinates with university administrative offices.
May to August 2019: Globalink Research Interns arrive in Canada and work with supervising professors for 12 weeks on their research project.
OS-HELP loans may be available to eligible students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place where the program is approved for credit prior to departure. Application required.
MITACS and the University of Sydney will cover the cost of the following expenses for nominated and accepted students:
- Flight and student visa reimbursement
- Medical insurance for the duration of the internship
- Coordination with host institutions’ administrative offices to ensure a smooth arrival and registration process
- Selection of a Globalink Mentor to assist with tasks including picking up students from the airport, escorting them to their residences, introducing them to their supervising professors, organizing social events, and acting as an emergency contact, etc.
- Professional skills workshops
- Industry events, such as meetings with professors, government representatives, and business leaders
How to Apply
Before you complete the MITACS application you need to be nominated by Sydney Global Mobility at the University of Sydney.
Complete the expression of interest form by Friday 31 August.
If you are selected by the University of Sydney, you will then need to provide the following to MITACS:
- An official transcript from the home university
- At least one letter of reference from a professor or research supervisor
- A CV detailing research experience
Short-listed students will be contacted and advised to complete the MITACS Globalink Research Internship application prior to the deadline of 19 September 2018 at 4:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). If eligible for the program, students are further evaluated and shortlisted.