Open Learning Environment: In-Country Experience
Learn a new language overseas as part of your degree.
The University of Sydney’s School of Languages and Cultures (SLC) offer In-Country Experience units within the Open Learning Environment (OLE) to enable you to experience language and cultural immersion. Our units are designed for beginners with little to no prior knowledge of a language.
You’ll gain 6 credit points for successfully completing an online module, attending a compulsory pre-departure workshop and completing your assessment tasks. You will undertake formal language classes at your host university and cultural activities such as visits to museums, theatres and memorial sites.
- Destinations and dates
- Important information: Applying for a unit
- Units available: June/July 2020 Applications Now Open
- Student experience: Photos and videos
Destinations and dates
|Language||Country||Unit of study||Applications open 9am*||Enrol by**||Travel date^|
|Arabic||Jordan||OLES2151||25 May||13 November||January 2021|
|Chinese||China||OLES2137||25 May||19 October||December 2020|
|French||France||OLES2147||25 May||19 October||December 2020|
|OLES2139||24 February||25 May||July 2020|
|OLES2139||25 May||19 October||December 2020|
|OLES2143||24 February||25 May||July 2020|
|OLES2143||25 May||13 November||January 2021|
|Japanese||Japan||OLES2153||25 May||19 October||December 2020|
|Korean||Korea||OLES2145||25 May||13 November||January 2021|
|Spanish||Spain||OLES2149||24 February||25 May||July 2020|
**Dates based on last day to add a unit of study for 2020 Intensive June (S1CIJN), Intensive November (S2CINO) and Intensive December (S2CIDE)
^See program dates below for units currently on offer
Important information: Applying for a unit
1. Read our OLE In-Country Experience Application Guide (pdf, 134KB)
2. All OLE In-Country Experience units are designed for students with no prior knowledge of a language. Please do not apply if you have studied the language; we strongly encourage you to check out our other units to expand your linguistic and cultural horizons.
3. All applications must be made through the Global Mobility Database instead of Sydney Student. Applications received through Sydney Student will automatically be declined.
4. Do not apply unless your degree resolution and progression allows you to enrol into an OLE In-Country Experience unit. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are eligible to enrol. Refer to the handbook for your degree resolutions based on the year of your enrolment (see the handbook archive for enrolment years prior to 2020), and find out how to check your academic progress.
5. Once your application is approved, you must pay the Cultural Activity and Incidental Fees within one week of your approval date.
a) For OLES2153, the Fee, $400, charged by Rikkyo University, is non-refundable/non-transferable.
b) For all other OLES, the Fee, $400, is non-transferable. The Fee will be refunded, after the Census Date, upon successful completion of the Unit. The Fee is not refunded if you do not enrol and/or if you withdraw for any reason.
6. Your study and associated travels are undertaken at your own risk. It is your responsibility to arrange a comprehensive travel insurance policy for any personal travel(s) other than the pre-approved program. If you are approved by the University of Sydney to participate in an OLE In-Country Experience unit, you will be covered by the University's Student Travel Insurance Policy. This is a complementary policy to cover you for the duration of your University of Sydney mobility experience. For information about travel insurance, see our student insurance page.
7. It is your responsibility to arrange, book and pay for your own flights, visa and accommodation*. Each student will be responsible for all costs of travel, transportation, meals, outings, books and any other incidental costs or expenses whatsoever arising out the OLE In-Country Experience unit. Neither the host institution nor University of Sydney will be liable for such costs.
*See the 'Finances' tab of each OLE In-Country Experience unit page for specific details or contact your Unit of Study Coordinator for more information.
8. Upon acceptance, you must enrol on Sydney Student where you upload your Departmental Permission Letter from the School of Languages and Cultures as documentation of approval.
9. To be awarded 6 credit points, you must meet the requirements of the program including:
- All online modules and assessment tasks (before, during and after attending the host institution)
- Attending the pre-departure session
- Being fully enrolled on Sydney Student.
Before you apply, please read:
Units available: June/July 2020
(Enrol in Intensive June; Travel in Intensive July)
|Program Details and Application Link
(Applications Now Open)
|Host institution||Move-in date||Program commencement||Program completion||Move-out date|
|OLES2139 Experience Germany||University of Bamberg||28 June||29 June||10 July||11 July|
|OLES2143 Experience Italy||University of Padova||28 June||29 June||10 July||11 July|
|OLES2149 Experience the Spanish-Speaking World||University of Valladolid||28 June||29 June||10 July||11 July|
Applications are on a first-come-first-served basis, so apply early!
Units may be cancelled where there are insufficient enrolment numbers.
Reminder: It is your responsibility to ensure that the OLE unit is allowable in your degree. You should not apply unless you have checked your degree resolution and progression as the Fee is non-refundable/non-transferable.
Student experience: Photos and videos
Check out what it's like to go on an OLE In-Country Experience unit!
|OLE Experience||Videos||Photo albums|
|The French-Speaking World||Highlights (Lyon, Dec 2019)||Lyon, France (Dec 2019)|
|Japan||Highlights (July 2019)||Saitama (July 2019)|
|Germany||Highlights (Bamberg, July 2019)||Bamberg (July 2019)|
|Highlights (Berlin, Dec 2018)||Berlin (Dec 2018)|
|The Spanish-Speaking World||Learning journey (July 2019)||Valladolid, Spain (July 2019)|
|Italy||Flipbook collage (Padua, July 2019)||Padua (July 2019)|
|China||Stories compilation (Dec 2018)||Beijing (Dec 2018)|
Follow us on social media (@usydslc)
Facebook | Twitter | SoundCloud