Open Learning Environment In-Country Experiences
The University of Sydney’s School of Languages and Cultures (SLC) offer In-Country Experiences within the Open Learning Environment (OLE) to enable students with no prior knowledge of a language to experience language and cultural immersion.
You’ll gain 6 credit points for successfully completing an online module, attending a compulsory pre-departure workshop and completing your Experience-specific assessment tasks as you travel overseas to undertake a combination of formal language classes and cultural activities, such as visits to museums, theatres and memorial sites.
"What's it like to go on an OLE In-Country Experience Unit?"
See what our SLC OLE Digital Media Ambassadors (DMAs) shared on SLC's Facebook:
|OLES2147 Experience the French-Speaking World in December 2019||French Album December 2019|
|OLES2153 Experience Japan in July 2019||Japan Highlights July 2019||Japan Album July 2019|
|OLES2139 Experience Germany in July 2019||German Highlights July 2019||German Album July 2019|
|OLES2143 Experience Italy in July 2019||Flipbook Collage July 2019||Italian Album July 2019|
|OLES2137 Experience China in December 2018||Instagram Stories Compilation December 2018||China Album December 2018|
|OLES2139 Experience Germany in December 2018||Berlin Highlights December 2018||German Album December 2018|
|Country||Unit of Study||Apply On||Enrol By||Travel In|
|China||OLES2137||Monday 25 May 2020*||Monday 19 October 2020***||December 2020******|
|France||OLES2147||Monday 25 May 2020*||Monday 19 October 2020***||December 2020******|
|Germany (Bamberg)||OLES2139||Monday 3 February 2020*||Monday 25 May 2020**||July 2020*****|
|Germany (Berlin)||OLES2139||Monday 25 May 2020*||Monday 19 October 2020***||December 2020******|
|Italy (Padova)||OLES2143||Monday 3 February 2020*||Monday 25 May 2020**||July 2020*****|
|Italy (Venice)||OLES2143||Monday 25 May 2020*||Friday 13 November 2020****||January 2021******|
|Japan||OLES2153||Monday 25 May 2020*||Monday 19 October 2020***||December 2020******|
|Jordan||OLES2151||Monday 25 May 2020*||Friday 13 November 2020****||January 2021******|
|Korea||OLES2145||Monday 25 May 2020*||Friday 13 November 2020****||January 2021******|
|Spain||OLES2149||Monday 3 February 2020*||Monday 25 May 2020**||July 2020*****|
**Last Day to add a Unit of Study for Intensive June (S1CIJN)
***Last Day to add a Unit of Study for Intensive November (S2CINO)
****Last Day to add a Unit of Study for Intensive December (S2CIDE)
*****See Program Dates below
******Dates to be confirmed with/by the Host/Partner
Important Considerations before Applying:
1. Please read our OLE In-Country Experience Application Guide (134KB)
2. All OLE In-Country Experiences are designed for students with no prior knowledge of a language to experience language and cultural immersion; please do not apply if you have studied the language. If you have studied the language, we strongly encourage you to check out our other OLE In-Country Experience Units of Study to expand your linguistic and cultural horizons.
3. All OLE In-Country Experience Applications must be made through the Global Mobility Database and not Sydney Student. Applications received through Sydney Student will automatically be declined. You should not apply unless you have checked your degree resolution and progression as the Fee is non-refundable/non-transferable.
4. If your Application is Approved, there are activity and incidental fees required for the program which are payable within one week of you being Approved.
5. Your In-Country Experience study and associated travel are undertaken at your own risk and it is your responsibility to arrange a comprehensive travel insurance policy for any personal travel other than the pre-approved Program. If you are approved by the University of Sydney to participate in an OLE In-Country Experience Unit of Study, you will be covered by the University's Student Travel Insurance Policy. This is a complementary policy to cover you for the duration of your University of Sydney mobility experience. Please refer to Student Insurance from Current Students for all travel insurance queries.
6. It is your responsibility to arrange, book, and pay for your own flights and your own Visa. It is also your responsibility to arrange, book, and pay for your own accommodation*. A Student undertaking an OLE In-Country Experience Unit of Study will be responsible for the following: all costs of travel, transportation, meals, outings, books and any other incidental costs or expenses whatsoever arising out of the OLE In-Country Experience Unit of Study. These costs are the responsibility of individual Students and neither Institution/University will be liable for such costs.
*Please see under the 'Finances' tab of each OLE In-Country Experience for specific details or contact your Unit of Study Coordinator for more information.
7. To be awarded 6 Credit Points, you must meet the requirements of the Program including the following:
- All Online Modules and Assessment Tasks (before, during, and after attending the Partner Institution).
- Attend the Pre-Departure Session.
- Be fully enrolled in Sydney Student (you will receive a letter of acceptance/Departmental Permission Letter from the School of Languages and Cultures which you will need to upload as supporting documentation when you enrol in Sydney Student).
Important Questions before Applying:
Please read our OLE In-Country Experience Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (126KB)
Important Contacts before Applying:
Please read our OLE In-Country Experience Important Contacts (156KB)
Important Terminology before Applying:
Please read our OLE In-Country Experience Important Terminology (131KB)
Enrol in Intensive June (S1CIJN) for Travel in Intensive JULY (S2CIJL) 2020
|Language||Location||Move-In Date||Program Commencement Date||Program Completion Date||Move-Out Date||Unit of Study||Applications Open|
|German||The University of Bamberg||28 June 2020||29 June 2020||10 July 2020||11 July 2020||OLES2139||9am Monday 3 February 2020*|
|Italian||The University of Padova||28 June 2020 (TBC)||29 June 2020 (TBC)||10 July 2020 (TBC)||11 July 2020 (TBC)||OLES2143||9am Monday 3 February 2020*|
|Spanish||The University of Valladolid||28 June 2020||29 June 2020||10 July 2020||11 July 2020||OLES2149||9am Monday 3 February 2020*|
Places are limited and the number of places available varies depending on the destination. Applications will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis so apply early!
Please note: Places are extremely limited, and the Deadline will close (earlier) once the Maximum Number of Students our Host/Partner Institutes can accept has been “Approved”. OLE In-Country Experience Units may be cancelled where there are insufficient enrolment numbers.
Connect with us:
SLC Student Portal