Skip to content

Short-term Programs

Short Term Banner v2COVID-19 note:
Effective from 25 March 2020, and following the travel ban imposed by the Australian Government and the University of Sydney, we will not be supporting any program participation in-country in 2020. This includes exchange programs, field schools, placements or other programs. We will continue to provide updates on short-term programs and availabilities for the Summer Break and 2021. 

Studying overseas is an exciting opportunity to broaden your academic experience and develop a global perspective by experiencing different lifestyles, languages and cultures. These international opportunities let you combine study and travel to broaden your experiences and set yourself up for a global career. You can also receive academic credit for your study overseas.

Short-term programs are open to current undergraduate students and some postgraduate students and provide the opportunity to engage in an overseas experience for a shorter period, usually between two and six weeks.

Types of Programs


Short-term Programs
  Exchange Non-exchange
Tuition fees Pay to Sydney only Pay to Host only
Program fees Pay to Host only Pay to Host only
Enrolment At Sydney and Host At Host only
Academic credit Required Optional

Exchange Programs - partner universities

The University of Sydney have over 250 exchange partners in more than 40 countries, 131 of which are ranked in the top 200 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World Ranking 2019). As an exchange student you remain enrolled at the University of Sydney in exchange units of study while you are abroad. Tuition fees at the chosen host university are waived and you continue to pay normal tuition fees to the University of Sydney, based on the amount of credit you are approved to receive towards your current course. Academic approval is mandatory for all exchange places and must be obtained prior to the exchange program application.

Non-exchange Programs - partner universities and preferred providers

With these programs you can apply to receive academic credit towards your University of Sydney course but it's not mandatory.  As a Non-exchange student, you pay your tuition fees to the host institution or program provider and you don't need to be enrolled into corresponding units of study at the University of Sydney. You can apply to receive academic credit towards your University of Sydney course or you can choose to complete these programs without receiving credit.

If you do wish to apply for academic approval we recommend you do so as soon as you have selected an overseas study program. If you are approved to receive credit, this will be applied to your transcript after you return.

As well as programs offered by universities, the University of Sydney works closely with a range of preferred program providers who offer overseas opportunities to students from Australian universities. Program providers generally offer a 'complete experience package' whereby they can include academic advice, visa advice, pre-departure and orientation sessions, onsite staff.
Note: inclusions vary by provider
Am I eligible for a Short-term program?

Open Learning Environment - School of Languages and Cultures' In-Country Experiences

If you are interested in learning a new language intensively, you may be interested in the School of Languages and Cultures' (SLC) Open Learning Environment: In-Country Experiences (OLEs). OLEs are two-three weeks of intensive, in-country language learning, designed to give you an immersive experience in a new language and culture. The units also include organised visits to museums, theatres, concerts, ceremonies, exposure to indigenous customs and rituals.

All OLEs are best suited for beginners with no prior knowledge of the language.

Applying to a program that is not listed on the Global Mobility Database

You can apply to an overseas study program to complete during the semester break even if it is not listed on the Global Mobility Database and still take advantage of the support available to you as a University of Sydney student. By registering your short-term program, you will become part of a supported framework that provides you with advice about academic credit, University student travel insurance, available funding options, and pre-departure support.
Short-term Program Registration (BYO)

How to apply for academic approval

You can receive academic credit from your overseas short-term program towards your degree at Sydney. After you eventually open an application on the Global Mobility Database, you'll be able to access the Academic Approval Request form and receive further instructions on how to apply.

Other opportunities?

There are a range of overseas opportunities offered through the Sydney Global Mobility Program. These include faculty led, internship and placement opportunities and Semester & Year Long Exchange.

Contact Us 

The Short-term Mobility Adviser is currently taking individual program consultations. Appointments are available on Tuesdays , Wednesdays and Friday. Book now!