Skip to content

Global Mobility Travel Registry

At the University of Sydney, we aim to encourage at least half of our students to study overseas as part of their degree. By supporting the use of travel to enrich and enhance students’ overall study experience, the University also has duty of care that extends to both academic integrity and health and safety.

To ensure the well-being and protection of all students during learning experiences, including travel, the University will identify potential dangers or risks present where students may travel and take reasonable measures to control risks and notify travelers.

Travel Registration

Travelling for University business includes travel led by faculty and staff; promoted by faculty, staff, and units; funded by the University; or where credit is awarded or degree requirements are fulfilled. Examples include: semester/year exchange, independent study abroad and other short-term mobility programs such as internships, clinical placements, field study, research, volunteering, competitions, conference or workshop attendance.

All students who travel internationally for University business are required to complete the travel registry. By registering their trip, students will:

  • be provided with important health, safety, logistical updates and assistance before, during, and after the international trip;

  • enable rapid location and communication in an emergency;

  • be covered by the University’s travel insurance policy; and

  • meet the conditions of scholarships and funding associated with University-endorsed travel.

Students must complete registration at least 30 days prior to departure.


Travel Insurance

The University will provide travel insurance to students while on approved official University business. Full details of the Student Travel Insurance coverage are available from Internal Audit.

Travel Advice and Approval

The University maintains strict guidelines on travel to restricted areas and all travelers should make themselves familiar with the resources and procedures that have been put in place to minimise risk to their own health and safety. We encourage all travelers to undertake a risk assessment for the locations they are traveling to whether it is for university business or leisure.

Travel to restricted areas will be governed by the University's Travel to Restricted Areas Policy or in the absence of such a policy, by the travel advisories of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and information provided by the University’s travel risk management advice supplier, Travel Guard. It is the responsibility of all travelers and authorising officers to check this information before booking travel.