Skip to content

Short-term programs
(Dec - Feb)

Short term overseas programs: December - February

Applications for December 2018 - February 2019 programs have now closed, however programs for July 2019 have just opened!
Short-term program types
  Exchange Non-exchange
Tuition fees Pay to USyd only Pay to Host only
Program fees Pay to Host only Pay to Host only
Enrolment At USyd and Host At Host only
Academic credit Required Optional
  View programs View programs

Exchange Programs - partner universities
The University of Sydney has 290 exchange partners in 42 countries, 126 of which are ranked in the top 200 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World Ranking 2018). As an exchange student you remain enrolled at the University of Sydney while you are abroad. Tuition fees at the host university are waived and you continue to pay normal tuition fees to the University of Sydney, based on the amount of credit you are approved to receive towards your current course. Students from your host institution does the same in reverse, and the result is an exchange of students and places. Academic approval is required for all exchange places and must be obtained prior to the exchange program application deadline.

Non-exchange Programs - partner universities and preferred providers
Where an exchange agreement does not exist, or the partner’s short-term program is not available on an exchange basis, you can apply as a non-exchange student. As a non-exchange student you are not enrolled into an exchange unit of study at the University of Sydney and are required to pay tuition fees to the host institution. You can apply to receive academic credit towards your University of Sydney course or you can choose to complete these programs without receiving credit towards your course. If you do wish to apply for academic approval we recommend you do so as soon as you have selected an overseas study program.

As well as programs offered by universities, the University of Sydney works closely with preferred program providers who offer overseas opportunities to students from Australian universities. Program providers generally offer a 'complete experience package' whereby they include academic advise, visa advice, pre-departure and orientation sessions, onsite staff.
Note: inclusions vary by provider.


Preferred provider programs
CIS Australia - single location Costa Rica
Italy - Florence
Japan - Tokyo
Noumea, New Caledonia
Dunedin, New Zealand
Cusco, Peru
Barcelona, Spain
London, United Kingdom
Los Angeles, USA
New York City, USA
AIM Overseas Argentina - Public Policy
Austria - Cross-Cultural Psychology
Austria - Inclusive Education
Italy - Understanding the Middle East
Italy - Media and Communication
Latvia - Robotics
Peru - Biodiversity
Portugal - Gender Studies
USA - Business Communication and Negotiation 
CIS Australia - multi-location Italy, France, the Netherlands and Czech Republic
France, Morocco & Spain
France, Italy & Greece
Dublin, London, Stratford and Oxford
ACICIS - Study Indonesia Practicum summer programs

Open Learning Environments - Learn a new language!
If you are interested in learning a new language intensively, you may be interested in the School of Languages and Cultures Open Learning Environments (OLEs). OLEs are two weeks of intensive, in-country language learning, designed to give you an immersive experience in a new language and culture. The unit also includes organised visits to museums, theatres, concerts, ceremonies, exposure to indigenous customs and rituals.
All OLEs are best suited for beginners with no prior knowledge of the language, although students with some basic knowledge can be accommodated.

View OLE programs.

BYO! Applying to a program that is not listed on the Global Mobility Database?
You can apply to an overseas study program to complete during the semester break even if it not listed on the Global Mobility Database and still take advantage of the support available to you as a University of Sydney student. Once you have been accepted onto the overseas program and made your travel arrangements you just need to complete the Global Mobility Travel Registry. If you wish to receive academic credit towards your University of Sydney degree we recommend you submit a request to Faculty Services as early as possible by following the instructions below: 'How to apply for academic approval'.


How to apply for academic approval

The Credit Application Form is for the use of students who wish to apply to receive academic credit for a short-term overseas study program that takes place during the semester breaks.

To find out steps on how to apply for academic approval, click here for more...